Wrinkles Form As Our Skin Ages
Everyone gets wrinkles on their skin. Wrinkles form as the skin ages and its underlying structure begins to break down. Environmental factors such as sun exposure and personal habits such as smoking can hasten this process and contribute to the formation of wrinkles. Habitual facial expressions can also cause wrinkles, as well as deeper lines such as smile and frown lines.
Wrinkles are a sign that the skin has lost elasticity due to age, exposure to the wind or sun, an unhealthy diet, smoking, or any combination of these factors. Sun damage, in particular, causes premature wrinkles. Ultraviolet rays from the sun can penetrate the skin and damage the underlying collagen and other support structures.
The best way to prevent premature wrinkles is by maintaining good skin health. This includes practicing good nutrition, keeping the skin clean and moisturized, and avoiding things that can damage the skin, such as sun exposure and smoking. Good nutrition is essential to keeping skin healthy. A well-balanced diet that includes plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables rich in antioxidants is essential for good skin health.
Hygiene and hydration are also keys to maintaining healthy, youthful skin. Keeping the skin clean and well moisturized will help keep it supple and prevent wrinkles. Dirty skin is more vulnerable to infection and irritation. Over-use of cosmetics and similar products can damage the skin and aggravate existing skin conditions such as rashes, infections, and acne.
There are many behavior patterns associated with premature wrinkles. The most avoidable of these is smoking. Smoking can negatively affect skin health, leading to damage and infection. When a person smokes, the blood vessels constrict, which restricts blood flow to the extremities as well as the skin. Because the blood carries oxygen and other nutrients to the skin, this process deprives the skin of needed chemical compounds. Environmental pollutants such as automobile emissions have a similar effect. Wrinkles can also be the result if exposure to sun, wind, and other environmental conditions. Regular moisturizing, daily sunscreen application, and appropriate clothing choices are the best ways to address these risks.
Wrinkles are an inevitable part of aging. However, with good nutrition, proper skin care, and advanced wrinkle treatments available from a qualified cosmetic dermatologist, wrinkles can be diminished and even eliminated. Effective wrinkle treatment and wrinkle removal procedures performed by an expert cosmetic dermatologist can enhance skin health and maintain the skin’s aesthetically pleasing appearance.
Effective solutions for wrinkle treatment and removal provided by a cosmetic dermatologist include chemical peels, microdermabrasion, laser resurfacing, and IPL™ Photofacial. Through different means, these procedures remove damaged and dead outer layers of skin to reveal new, healthy skin and enhance the production of collagen. Chemical peels use an acid solution to essentially “burn” away the upper layers of skin. In a microdermabrasion treatment, the dermatologist uses a spray of fine crystals to remove outer layers of skin. Laser resurfacing and IPL™ Photofacial involve the use of intense light rays to break up and remove dead and damaged skin layers. After these treatments, wrinkles are eliminated or reduced, and the skin appears much younger and healthier.
BOTOX® Cosmetic and injectable fillers are also effective for wrinkle treatment and removal. They can minimize the appearance of wrinkles, and injectable fillers can be used to enhance facial features and address structural inconsistencies. Although there are exceptions, injectables generally provide aesthetic enhancement for a few months before requiring touchup treatments. The most common injectables are:
- BOTOX® Cosmetic: BOTOX® Cosmetic injections are the most popular cosmetic enhancement treatment in the United States. In a BOTOX® treatment, injection of tiny amounts of botulinum toxin type A temporarily immobilizes muscles in the face that are responsible for wrinkles.
- Collagen: Collagen is particularly effective for temporary wrinkle treatment and removal. Collagen can be used to fill in wrinkled areas of the skin, making it appear flatter and smoother. Collagen injections can also be used in a number of other applications, such as sculpting lips and filling in scars.
- Hyaluronic Acid Fillers: Restylane® is an example of a hyaluronic acid gel that can be used to augment and smooth the skin, making it very effective for wrinkle treatment. Hyaluronic acid fillers have the advantage that they are less prone to provoking allergic reactions than some other injectable fillers.
- Calcium Hydroxylapatite Fillers: Radiesse® and other calcium hydroxlapatite fillers trigger the production of natural collagen by the body. This provides wrinkle-removal effects that are especially long-lasting.
- Fat Transfer: A fat transfer procedure involves removing fat from one part of the body, cleaning and filtering it, and then injecting it into another part of the body to treat wrinkles. This approach uses a substance from the patient’s own body, which has the advantage of added safety and compatibility.
The most dramatic methods for wrinkle treatment and removal are facial plastic surgery procedures such as a face lift, brow lift, and eye lift These procedures are popular and can effectively address wrinkles on the face with long-lasting results. Facial plastic surgery procedures tighten the facial skin and remove excess skin and fat from specific areas of the face, making the skin appear tighter and smoother. They are often performed in conjunction with cosmetic dermatology procedures to exfoliate the skin. Facial implant surgery can also be used to address wrinkles and improve the contours of the face. Popular options include cheek augmentation and chin augmentation. The neck lift is popular with patients who have excess skin folds and wrinkles around the jaw and neckline. The procedure is often performed to augment a face lift or other facial plastic surgery procedure.
To find out more about the importance of facials and natural skin care products, please contact Skin Care Plus. We use and recommend the best natural and organic skin care products available. We also offer other skin care treatments that can help with anti-aging and overall skin health, including the best facial in the greater Chicago area, including Batavia, Geneva, and St. Charles.
Anti-Aging Tips via http://www.docshop.com/education/dermatology/skin-flaws/wrinkles